DeWalt planer service

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Michne
      Participant

My old reliable DeWalt DW733 has a problem, likely caused by me. I installed new OEM blades and set them according to the manual. Problem is, the blade setting gauges don’t look like anything in the manual. I did the best I could using the supplied gauges, and planed a piece of 1-by. Worked great. When I tried to plane thin stock to 1/8″, the machine nearly ate the stock – chewed up the ends, made strange noises, and shot one piece out of the infeed side and sailed it across the shop. I have routinely planed hundreds of 1/8″ laminating strips in the past with no problems.

What did I do wrong?

I dragged it to Latham to what used to be the DeWalt service shop, and found a new business in the building. An internet search showed the original shop, with a phone number. I called it, but was told the call couldn’t be completed. It was obviously out of service. The closest service shop is a couple of counties away

Is there any knowledgeable NWA member willing to take on the service job? Email me at jmichne1@nycap.rr.com

Shei2
      Participant

Just saw your post. Have you resolved your issue yet?

I have the same DeWalt DW733 planer. I changed the blade once several years ago and it went smoothly. It worked for me for another few years. I had to change the blade again this summer and had issues, couldn’t set the blades with the gauges they provided. I know the DeWalt shop closed since I pass by that location on Rt 7 often, called DeWalt, and they told me I have to ship the machine to Boston area. You know this thing is 70 lbs, not easy to ship, so I called Dick’s Sharpening & Repair for help.
      Dick owns the same planer and was able to figure out what I was doing wrong. He changed the blade and adjusted/conditioned it, and now It is running great again, Dick’s phone is 518-664-8481, his address is 427 Co. Rte 76, Mechanicville, NY 12118. Good luck! Juliana

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.